Within a half hour of the sirens, two houses had been reported by locals as being hit by a tornado. One of them was on fire.
Within an hour, it was over. But there was more to come, within the upcoming hours--as another tornado producing storm rolling in from the Chicago area. But, it was over for the time being...and we headed off to bed. Of course, the next set of storms woke us up---rain blasting in our window behind our pillows, thunder and lightening both so loud, no normal person could have slept through it.
And when we woke this morning, the results of the storm were much worse than I had thought. Just mere miles from us, in an area I pass on my way to work each day, houses were destroyed. A local high school was in ruins. And five people had lost their lives.



It's hard to image such destruction, and so close to home. My thoughts are with the families and friends of those who lost so much last night.
__________________________________________________________________
Two days ago, when I climbed out of my car after arriving home from work, I heard "meeeew." Lots of them. Kittens. In my garage. In a box. There we four of them, about 3 weeks old--so tiny and perfect and cute. I made sure not to touch them--I didn't want the mom to move them. But, my scent on the box was enough for her--by yesterday morning, she had moved all but one.
She left behind this little gal:




After hours of listening to her scream, and no mom coming to get her, I brought her inside to warm her up. We had all but convinced our neighbors to take her in (since we just cannot take on another animal so soon before we move). I brought her in on two different occasions, fed her, and kept her warm--and shortly before the storms hit, I took her back out to her box in the garage---half hoping her mom would come back for, half hoping she'd still be there in the morning.
Alas, when I went to check early this morning, she was gone. I've looked high and low for a spot the mom might have moved the kittens to (let's be honest, no city needs four more feral cats), but...no such luck.
I'll miss that face.
________________________________________________________________
Oh, and this is the weather outside right now. It still looks like it's going to eat us. I'm not a fan. Cool picture, though.
We had some pretty crazy storms here too yesterday. I was of course outside at an amusement park and had to huddle under a pavilion for an hour and a half. There were some tornado sightings, but luckily no serious damage.
ReplyDeleteThose pictures are scary, glad you stayed safe!
That sounds scary. I turned green at the sound of tornado sirens when we visited MN and there wasn't even a tornado. When you aren't used to such things it's a bit scary. Although I would prefer the warning to the ground just starting to shake. Glad to hear you are safe.
ReplyDeleteThat kitten is adorable. I would want to snuggle her!
Wow! No tornados here this year (yet), but a good bout of golfball-sized hail the other day. That kitty is so cute! I hope the mom takes good care of it. It's a scary world to be a feral cat it.
ReplyDelete