Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Well...I had a baby.

And, I need to, for my sanity more than anything, write my baby's birth story down. It's been eight days since he was born, and it seems like every second that passes, I remember less and less of the event--which, if you ask me, is slightly ridiculous. I mean, I gave birth. To a human. A tiny human, but still. It was a long and painful event...and now I'm having a hard time remembering it? My husband has said all along--women must forget the bad parts or else we wouldn't continue to reproduce.

At my 39 week appointment on Friday January 27th, my OB went ahead and swept my membranes. She told me it may or may not doing anything, but if it did...chances are it would happen within 3 days. The first day? Nothing. The second day? Nothing. In fact, my contractions that were normally pretty frequent and painful had subsided. I felt good. That Sunday, I did my usual shopping routine--a trip to Target to set myself up with food for the week...all appropriate for a Gestational Diabetes diet, nonetheless. At home, I decided to do some laundry, and cleaning...all very typical for me; pregnancy did little in the way of slowing me down. I trapped the hubs into setting up the Tater Tots bassinet--who knew when we'd have a chance to get that done. I had sheets in the drier and towels in the washer. We finished the bassinet, and I went back to vacuuming.

And then it happened.

This slight, twinge-like pop. And a gush of fluid. My first thought was that I had peed my pants. Whateves...I had made it throughout my entire pregnancy without any pee-related accidents, now would be a good time to break that trend, no? Off to the bathroom I went. But, I could tell...had I peed myself? OR....did my water break? When I went to go tell the hubs what was going on, it became obvious that my water had broken...it would stop gushing out. Seriously, though...weirdest feeling ever. An uncontrollable feeling of pissing ones self...so.weird.

We made the call to L&D--they urged me to come in right away. I asked to take a shower first, which didn't seem to make them too happy, but I did it anyways. And...at 7:30 pm on January 29th, an hour after my water broke, we grabbed our bags (that I had conveniently repacked that afternoon) and made our way to the hospital. Surprisingly, contractions were minimal. Did I feel them? Sure. But they weren't bothersome. And they certainly didn't compare to the ones that had resulted in a trip to L&D earlier the previous week. Once in triage, they determined that my water had, indeed broke, and I was admitted. At a measly 1cm (the same I had been since my 37 week appointment), I indicated I wanted a natural labor...as natural as possible anyways. So, the hubs and I made a point to do a lot of walking that night. Around and around we went...up and down the halls. It was an exhausting night...only to find out I wasn't processing on my own. My contractions increased in intensity, but didn't find a regular pattern. I was informed that I could labor on my own until 5am before they would administer Pitocin to augment the labor.

When 5am rolled around, there was little to no additional progress. Our evening of walking was pretty much for nothing. We were both exhausted. The Pitocin was started, and I was determined to continue to labor on my own...without an Epidural. But, as the internet would tell you, the contractions on Pitocin became nearly unbearable. We tried to walk the halls some more...but, I could hardly stand when they hit, and my legs were so exhausted from all the walking we had done the night before. And, at that time, there was still no regularity to the contractions...I'd have 5 contractions every two minutes, and then....nothing for ten minutes. After another check, the OB on call revealed that the Tater Tot was occipital transverse--he was heads down, but sideways. His head wasn't engaging and helping my cervix progress.

((It must be noted that my husband was a rockstar throughout all of this. I couldn't have asked for a better partner to hold my hand, rub my back, and support my entire being in a hallway corridor when I was experiencing the worst pain ever known to me. I loved him more then than I ever had.))


After getting the news about the Tater Tots position, and suffering through some more cluster contractions, I requested an epidural. The husband made me ask for it during a non-contracting time to ensure it was what I really wanted because I hadn't wanted any help whatsoever. It became apparent that my birth plan went out the window when my water broke---it wasn't how I had envisioned my labor starting, and it placed me on a time clock that I wasn't prepared for. Anyways, the epidural was overwhelming, and I received way too much medicine in the secondary dose--I thought I was going to die. Luckily, that passed, and by 10am, my contractions were more manageable. I had to labor on my right side as a result of Tater Tots position, but was able to close my eyes and rest. By 2pm, I began to feel pressure. I mention it to my nurse, who had an OB check me---and finally! 10cms and ready to go!! ....

....only I wasn't ready. I didn't want to push. I was terrified. I wanted to change my mind, and go back home, and keep the baby inside, at least for 6 more days until he was actually due. I wanted to turn back time and get un-pregnant. I was terrified. Did I mention how terrified I was?

I asked to keep laboring on my own...I didn't want to push too soon. I was too tired to start anyways. I waited it out about a half an hour while the nurses set up, and got the room ready. The OB showed up, and it was game time. Pushing began around 2:30pm--and, again, the husband? Amazing. Best support system ever. I couldn't have asked for more. My nurse was pretty amazing too---counting out my pushes during my contractions. A room full of nurses, for me and for the baby, all encouraging me as I pushed.

And, a mere 45 minutes later, Niko James was born. Did it hurt? I'm sure it did. The way I feel now tells me that it hurt really bad. But, it was also so....overwhelming. In an amazing way. And the second that baby was out, and on my chest....I was in tears. So.Incredibly.Happy.

Niko James: Born at 3:18pm on January 30, 2012, 7lb 7oz, 19.75 inches

I had done it!! I gave birth. I did more in those twenty hours than I ever thought I was capable of. I made it through with the support and guidance of the most amazing man in the world--my husband. And, my parting gift was my beautiful baby boy.

The last 8 days have been nothing short of amazing. Amazingly tiring. Amazingly full of diapers. Amazingly full of LOVE. I, of course, am a basket case. One moment I'm happy, the next I'm overwhelmed and exhausted. This Mom thing is hard work...but, every time I look at my little guy, I melt. Every time I see the husband kissing his little forehead, or rocking him in his arms, I melt.

And, as crazy as it sounds, I would do it all over again.

He's just that precious.

3 comments:

  1. Rach, this made me tear up!! Niko is precious! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweetie!! I'm so excited for you to experience this now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Rach! Love his name too, adorable.

    ReplyDelete