Anyways. I went back to the Cleveland Clinic (after much deliberation, mind you) last Friday to see a new Rheumatologist. For the first time since my initial trip to the Cleveland Clinic last June, I left the doctors not feeling like we had wasted gas and turnpike money just to get there. Looking back on it now, I might not be as convinced that it was worth it. Why? Well, the first Rheum seemed like he had a diagnosis before he had even seen me. The first Rheum was heavily into fibromyalgia; he'd done a great deal of research on the disease--and, before I could get much of two words out of my mouth, he tossed out the diagnosis---and, conveniently in my opinion, handed me a few articles about fibro. That he wrote. I refused to go back to see him.
This new guy...well, he seemed better than Rheum #1. He asked questions. He took interest in things my other doctors haven't (specifically, the "circle" on my left leg). And? For once, he didn't say "there's nothing I can do for you..."---I've been hearing this often, and it breaks my heart.
He requested I get some blood work done---special blood work. Blood work that needed to be sent to DC. Blood work that could only be done certain days of the week---so, I would need to come back on a Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday (even though we were already there....a Friday wouldn't work though). The special blood work will take 6-8weeks to complete; it's genetic testing, so I guess that takes time.
Rheum #2 suggested I might have one of two different genetic Auto-Inflammatory Diseases: HIDS or TRAPS. The kicker? He ALSO conveniently printed out an article for me and the husband to read up on; neither of us had heard of either of these diseases before. And? He wrote the article. What is with these guys? I wonder if I went to see every single Rheum at the Cleveland Clinic---well, would they each have a different *possible* diagnosis, that just happens to be the exact same thing they study closely?
Anyways, I went back to Cleveland yesterday for the rest of the blood work. I stopped at home first, and picked up my dad--and we made the trip together, which was nice. After the blood work, we joined my two aunts for lunch--also nice. Apparently I was in mood to squeeze in as many visits with people as possible---because I met up with my old college roommate for dinner and drinks, met my mom for an ice cream cone afterwards, and stopped back at said former roommates house to see her fiance, and back to my dad's before hitting the road to return to my home....getting in just before midnight. Long day, but totally worth it.
And today? Called off of work due to the rain. So, I did a whole lot of nothing. And now, Lewis the cat is pestering me. And Glee is calling my name.
No comments:
Post a Comment