Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Perhaps Not Much Has Changed....

Most of what I miss, or long for, is the athletic body I used to have. Let's face it, I haven't done much in the way of "athletic activity" in almost two years. Sure, I've tried a treadmill once or twice....but my joints ached so bad. My knees felt like they would break....it was so... weird.

I went for a run on Saturday. But, not an "I'm training for a couch to 5k" run. The fact of the matter is, despite the fact that I would run cross country in the fall to stay in shape, I'm not a distance runner. I may look like I'd fit the description of one, but I just don't have it in me...I've never had it in me. Anything more than a half-lap around the track seemed like absolute hell to me.

So, when I ran on Saturday, I started out with my iPod, and an assumption that I'd just run for....a while. But, as it always goes, I haven't a clue on how to pace myself....and, before I know it, I'm nearing a sprint. My knees were aching. My back was throbbing. So, I stopped running, and thought about how convenient my neighborhood is---there's another street off our main road about every hundred meters or so. Perfect. So, I ran from one street to the next...my earphones flew out because I was moving so fast. I'd stop and rest, then do it again. And I loved it. It hurt, but I loved it.

So, tomorrow night, I think the hubs and I are going to hit up one of the local high school tracks. I just want to put my spikes on, and run. Fast. I'm actually excited. I just want to know that I can...

In the meantime, I've been working out with a mere resistance band. I knew I was limited, and that I would fatigue easily, but...I didn't want to lose it all. I had the most amazing (yes, I'm tooting my own horn) shoulders and arms from my years of workouts and early morning trips to the weight room:


Top picture is circa 2007....


This one is circa now.

Perhaps not much has changed---at least on the way my outer image appears. It looks the same in pictures, but feels and operates so utterly different in person. I feel like two different people. The me circa 2007. And the me circa now.

No comments:

Post a Comment