Sunday, April 3, 2011

I am an Explorer.

Yesterday, I decided to explore. I typed in "antiques" on my iPhone map---and went to the first place the popped up...(in completing said explorations, I discovered a new route to my favorite TJ Maxx...bad).

The first place was gigantic. Seriously---three floors or so, and just had room after room after room of stuff. It was straight, and I mean straight, out of an episode of hoarders. Mind you, I really wanted to enjoy browsing; I think antiques are crazy fun. But, I could hardly walk in that shop, let alone turn around...and I'm a tiny person!! I can't imagine how they even begin to keep track of what is in there; insanity....just a quick view:


Anyways, this place was packed...And, really, I was just browsing. Sure, I would have bought something specifically, but I doubted they had it there (and I was right).


In a recent package that arrive from my wonderful mother-in-law, came the item listed above (on the bottom... I purchased the second shortly after). Now, my mother-in-low sends packages often, and I love it--no matter what's in it, because I always feel like the cool kid in college that had parents that would send care packages like everyday. I mean, I got care packages in college, but not everyday. Anyways, most of her packages include random items---I'm used to this, and at times, it becomes a game to see if me or my husband can guess what it is (or what it says). This last package was of Christmas gifts (belated, of course) because we didn't make it out there for Christmas. But, in normal mother-in-law fashion, there was a couple random things we just couldn't figure out. For instance, the above-pictured item. it came in a less than sturdy box-ish like mesh container, and was scattered amongst other random items---mainly rocks and such. I was intrigued to say the least...and playing around with it for a second (TWSS) made me figure out what it was. It was an antique lipstick holder. When the top is removed, on of the sides pops up as a mirror. and the little jeweled part slides the lipstick up the tube. I thought it was the neatest thing I had ever found---and still do. After all, I love all things antique-y. So, I bought some silver polish, and went to work on the top one in the picture. And then took the picture for comparison...They both still need a lot of nook-and-cranny work, but they look fabulous.

The next two antique stores on my list were giant fails. One was randomly closed when it would have normally been open (and looked rather fun inside)...and, the third, when tracked with my GPS, led me straight to an apartment complex....ummm. Unless someone was selling crap from their apartment, I didn't understand. So I gave up and went home. I continue to stalk eBay though....some of them can be purchased on the cheap---others, not so much. I don't even know what they are worth...but they are beautiful and intricate, and that's all that matters to me.



And, then.....while I rearranged the furniture in the spare room (read: my room for getting dressed, showering, and all other things girl related), I dyed my crinoline. Again. I'm going on my second TTD shoot with an amazing team down here in NC---I actually met them when I was working a bridal show for The Knot. My last pictures are some of my most favorite pictures in this world; my photographer worked wonders. But, the last thing I wanted to do was recreate my first TTD...So, I'm changing it up in all ways possible. The crinny is now officially purple (lots of people thought it was purple before). And I love it. I've got some other ideas up my sleeve to help make this session fun and VERY UNIQUE (<---see what I did there, husband...neener). Pictures coming soon....I hope.

I'm not ready for this to be Sunday, and tomorrow to be Monday. I'm just not. Happy Sunday, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment