_______________________________________________________________
The thought of keeping up with classes that I'm not even attending in person this semester is just a wash. Since I've gotten sick, it's been hard (and so far, not possible) to keep up with classes even when I go to them. But, now that it's all independent? Well, I just can't muster up the strength to teach myself new material. I called around to find out about medically withdrawing from this semester--no classes, no work--just getting better. I got shuffled around from office to office, and some how wound up on the phone with my old boss's wife's secretary. I know, what are the odds? Even still, she was going to transfer me to someone else (this someone else happens to be a student in my PhD program...who's been working on her PhD for 28 years. Ya. That's longer than I've been alive.). When I heard who I was being transferred to, I hung up. I'm not ready to open that can of worms tonight.
________________________________________________________________
While I was "working from home" today, I decided to get a hair-trial done. I've been growing my hair out for over a year, and was fearful that it wasn't long enough to have an up-do done, or at least not what I wanted done anyways. So, I went to a chain place--assuming they'd be rather inexpensive. I had emailed myself pictures of what I wanted in advance so I could show them on my phone (genius, huh?).
This is what I showed her I wanted:
She said no problem, and got to work curling my hair. I felt confident that she knew what she was doing; the curls looked nice just by themselves. But then she started to pull the look together---and I'm not sure what look she was going for, because she started piling and securing the curls at the top of my head. Hmm...not at all where I wanted them. So, I showed her the picture again, saying I wanted everything gathered down towards the bottom of my head--making it easier to put my veil in. She took out what she had pinned in, and pinned it lower, pulling the sides and the top straight back. Again, I showed her the picture---indicating that I was hoping to acheive a look very similar to the picture, where the curls were maintained all the way back. Now granted, I have no idea if this is possible to do with naturally straight hair--or if it would even look good on me---but that's why I was there, for her, the professional, to answer my questions and do it for me. She claimed it was possible--and started to reconstruct my hair again---but, as I watched her simply twist my hair in sections and pin it, I gave up. I wasn't going to have her try a fourth time to achieve the look--I had been there an hour already, and I was starting to feel my energy drain.She was kind enough to take pictures--and while I don't mind the back, the sides and front are far from what I had hoped:


(The back's not too bad...but not at all like the picture)

All in all, it's not what I wanted--but it could have been worse. At least I know I have enough hair to do things. I just wish I had a better idea before we left for Vegas--and I simply cannot afford more hair "trials."And now? I'm going to try to find a way to numb my body. I have the worst back pain (same place I've been dealing with...but it's attacking me ten-fold now), and my heating pad just isn't cutting it. I predict tears in my near future.



Sometimes letting it out helps. If you want to cry, cry. No one can judge you at this point, if you want to run off and hide do it. And don't forget to torture the pickle jar!
ReplyDelete